Welcome to the official website of
Joe Ronnie Hooper Memorial VFW
JOE RONNIE HOOPER MEMORIAL VFW ART CONTEST
RULES & REQUIREMENTS
The purpose of the VFW Art Contest is to create a series of murals on the Claremore VFW building. A $3000 prize will be awarded to the winning artist’s design of the front of the building, and that person (who can have a team of artists assist) will paint their mural on the building. All expenses, paint, brushes etc., will be paid for by the VFW. The artists will have one month’s time to paint the murals from award notification. Extra time may be allowed to accommodate bad weather. The building will be painted a light blue that artists can utilize as their background color. The following requirements are to be followed:
1. Designs for the front of the building must include all 6 service emblems, Coast Guard, Air Force, Army, Marines, Navy and Space Force. Emblems are available online. Each emblem must be of the same size, 3 feet in diameter. The other emblems are required, but may be placed anywhere, but all must be of the same size and placed around the lighted VFW sign..
2. All entries must be of patriotic nature, use of historical scenes allowed.
3. Scenes of mixed time eras are welcome.
4. Joe Ronnie Hooper, a Medal of Honor recipient and member of our post, can be used in the designs but not required. The Post Name of Joe Ronnie Hooper Memorial Veterans of Foreign Wars (or VFW) can be part of the design. See Memorial Brochure for images, available at the post.
5. Entries must be presented flat on some kind of mount (paper on wood, foam core, plastic, etc.), so that they may be stood side-by-side for judging and voting. The post members will be the deciders of the winners. Artists information may only be posted on the back of the entry, so judging will not be aware of who the artist is. Information must include artists name, school, address, phone number.
6. The building front is 150 x 11’ -all entries must be to scale.
7. The winning artists may enlist assistants to help do the painting, but they must be supervised by the winning artists. The winning artists are welcome to include an 18”x24” signature panel, which is to include their name, date of design, school of attendance.
8. The winning artists are required to complete the painting of the building with their art, prizes will be awarded upon completion. Only artists who are physically capable of painting and/or supervising the mural should enter. If supervising, the artist must recruit their own artists.
9. All entries due by December 1, 2020, 5 p.m. central standard time.
10. Students of all northeast Oklahoma colleges are eligible to enter.